catherine hamilton-hd

Dr. Catherine Hamlin

In 1946 Catherine Hamlin graduated in medicine at the University of Sydney. She met and married Dr Reginald Hamlin when they were both senior medical officers at Crown Street Women’s Hospital in Sydney. In 1959, Reg and Catherine, with their six-year-old son Richard, accepted a three-year contract with the Ethiopian Government to work as obstetrician-gynaecologists to set up a midwifery school in Addis Ababa.

In 1946 Catherine Hamlin graduated in medicine at the University of Sydney. She met and married Dr Reginald Hamlin when they were both senior medical officers at Crown Street Women’s Hospital in Sydney. In 1959, Reg and Catherine, with their six-year-old son Richard, accepted a three-year contract with the Ethiopian Government to work as obstetrician-gynaecologists to set up a midwifery school in Addis Ababa.

In 1962, the Hamlin’s built a hostel in the grounds of the Princess Tsehai, using money donated from overseas. The Hamlin’s then worked for more than a decade to establish a fistula hospital, and in 1974, founded the Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital, the only medical centre in the world at that time dedicated exclusively to obstetric fistula repair.

Dr Reg Hamlin worked at the hospital until he died in 1993. Since then, Catherine’s work for obstetric fistula sufferers in Ethiopia has continued uninterrupted for more than half a century, with more than 43,000 patients treated. Catherine has twice been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and has received numerous international awards and acknowledgements for her dedication and pioneering work. In 2009 she was awarded the ‘alternative Nobel Peace Prize’, the Right Livelihood Award, for her work and in 2012 was given Ethiopian Honorary citizenship.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *